Ever since the heinous attacks in Orlando on June 12, I’ve wanted to reach out, but struggled to find the right words. I know that a lot of people are feeling this way, shocked and at a loss of what to do next.
I want you to know that you are not alone, and people all over the world are standing with you.
Wishing that there was something I could do beyond offering words of encouragement, I decided to make a short video about self care, which is something we can all do in our own lives.
So here are some examples of things you can do to take care of yourself:
- Get your body moving, ride a bike, go dancing, do yoga
- Practice being present in your daily routine, while you are brushing your teeth, while you are walking out your front door, while you are eating breakfast
- Do nice things for your body, like get a massage or take a bath
- Watch an old movie that you really love that makes you happy
- Do small one minute meditations throughout the day, focus on your breath
- Be around your friends
- Get lots of sleep
- Make sure you are eating well
- Write, write down your feelings, or write down things you’re grateful for
- Unplug for a while, turn off your phone, take a break from Facebook
Those are ideas of things you can do for yourself, and there are other things you can do to connect to your local LGBTQ community.
- Attend Pride in your city
- Volunteer with a local community organization
- Go to the library and find books to read about queer history
- Donate money to your local LGBTQ community center
- Go to a queer film or event
If you need more support, check with your local LGBTQ community centre, they might offer free counselling or drop in services.
I hope that helped a little, I am going to post more resources down below. Know that you are not alone, I stand in solidarity. There are people all over the world working spreading compassion and love. We will get through this.